(blunder, boner, boo-boo, botch, bungle, flub, foul-up, fuckup, pratfall, bloomer, error, fault, mistake - a wrong action attributable to bad judgement or ignorance or inattention)
So, as you must have guessed by now, today's topic is bloopers committed by .... Who, you ask? Me, obviously to begin with :-) and then we can move on to nicer stuff, like yours, for instance? He, he!
Let me start:
- my colleague copied me in a mail sent to a client. I happily responded to him with plenty of snide remarks about the client - little did I realise that I hit the "reply all" button and it was sent to the client and copied to my colleague! :-(( Needless to say, we did not get the business.
- My partner brought a gentleman to me at an event saying "look who's where!". Our eyes met, I looked into his eyes earnestly and asked sweetly :"hi, have we met before?" The person's eyes became frosty and pat came the answer with a frown - "Yes, I had dinner at your place last month"! Gulp, I didn't know where to look.
- Yours truly introducing two persons to each other as Mr. X please meet Mr. Y , and actually doing exactly the opposite, i.e. telling Mr. X to meet Mr. X and vice versa. Yikes. :-(
- Now the best for the last - I recently sent a mail to a friend of mine assuring her to not worry too much about doing what her heart wants, as the public memory is very short, and ultimately it does not matter, etc, etc. She sent a response saying she could not stop giggling ever since she received my mail and she quoted: "Please don't worry, pubic memory is very short" please note the figurative, literally and existential connotations.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I rest my case.
And now from some others:
- my dear ex-husband once introduced his mother to his friends as his "mother-in'law". Predictably, my mother-in-law was not amused at all. Thereafter she never left any chance to loudly broadcast the evil influence that her daughter-in-law had over her dear son!
- one of my dear friends sent a mail to me last night - it was a very intense, very personal, very private mail. And in her anxiety about ensuring that the mail reached me, she sent it to multiple mail i.ds of mine, albeit with an additional sprinkling of i.ds of other people with similar sounding names. As a result, her private world was revealed electronically to a much wider audience than she would ever liked them to be.
what are your bloopers? Would you like to share? :-)